PLAYLIST: 30 prime slices of escapist pop to soundtrack your quarantine party. 6 feet apart, please!
Within my personal friend group, I have gained a bit of a reputation for making playlists. Now, of course, I get to victimize the entire internet with that particular skill. Historically, though, my closest friends have had to bear the weight of my musical list-making.
Last week, one of my friends reached out to me to create a quarantine playlist for her so that she would, as she put it, “Listen to anything other than superhero soundtracks, please, for the love of god”. Although I support listening to superhero soundtracks, I was happy to oblige. There is a non-zero chance that she asked for a playlist just to mercifully give me something to do, but…. that’s a rabbit hole I am not willing to go down.
The thing is, I sort of think the playlist I made for her slaps. It’s 30 songs of modern, escapist pop, ranging from absolute bangers like ‘Tantrum’ by Ashnikko to chill vibes like ‘Too Late’ by Washed Out. In terms of cohesion, it shouldn’t work. On paper, it doesn’t. But in practice, I stand by it. So, I’m sharing it here with the whole world. Because the world needs escapist pop now more than ever, and also because I’m a hopeless narcissist when it comes to my taste in music.
A few songs are specifically quarantine/social isolation themed: ‘claws’ by Charli XCX (who’s quarantine-themed album is out 5/15), ‘I’m Bored’ by Betta Lemme and ‘My House’ by Kitten. But all are great slices of music that run the gamut of modern pop music. I think it’s great. I hope you do too.
So, enjoy this playlist, Social Isolation Disco, below.
Social Isolation Disco TrackList
- Joan of Arc on the Dance Floor – Aly & AJ Non-album single
- Malibu – Kim Petras Non-album single
- Love Again – Dua Lipa Future Nostalgia
- La vita nuova – Christine and the Queens feat. Caroline Polachek La vita nuova
- Over Yet – Hayley Williams Petals for Armor
- Super Duper Party People – Allie X Cape God
- Nonbinary – Arca KiCk i
- Gay Street Fighter – Keiynan Lonsdale Non-album single
- Tantrum – Ashnikko Non-album single
- claws – Charli XCX how i’m feeling now
- Damn Daniel – Bree Runway feat. Yung Baby Tate Non-album single
- Shoulda Known Better – Nasty Cherry Non-album single
- If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know) – The 1975 Notes on a Conditional Form
- I Love Me (Travis Barker Remix) – Demi Lovato Non-album single
- Daydream – The Aces Non-album single
- On the Floor (Initial Talk Remix) – Perfume Genius Non-album single
- No Pude – Lido Pimienta Miss Colombia
- i like the devil – Purity Ring WOMB
- Guilty Conscience – 070 Shake Modus Vivendi
- I’m Bored – Betta Lemme Non-album single
- Sucker for Punishment – Alex Lahey Non-album single
- Ripe – Banoffee feat. CupcakKe Look at us Now, Dad
- Stay Tonight – CHUNG HA Non-album single
- Dare (AM) – Namasenda Non-album single
- Too Late – Washed out Non-album single
- My House – Kitten Non-album single
- Save a Kiss – Jessie Ware Non-album single
- Two Minute Noodles – Aria Wood Non-album single
- Take Yourself Home – Troye Sivan Non-album single
- Chosen Family – Rina Sawayama SAWAYAMA
PLAYLIST: These are my picks for the 101 Top Tracks of 2019. Yes, I know it’s April 2020. Thank you. Shh.
At the end of every year, I curate a list of my personal picks for the 101 Top Tracks of the year. Obviously, we are halfway through 2020, so it makes no sense to publish that list now, but I am doing it anyway. The world is in chaos, and everyone needs good music.
Not every artist on this playlist is a member of the LGBTQIA+ family (although many are), this is just a list of 101 damn good songs to hopefully cheer you up in the coming days.
Andrew Henderson’s 101 Top Tracks of 2019:
- OH DANG DANG – Kopps Non-album single
- Get Around It – Midi Matilda Non-album single
- I Don’t Wanna Know – Charli XCX Charli
- Gimme – BANKS III
- fallen alien – FKA Twigs MAGDALENE
- Gone – TR/ST The Destroyer Vol. 1
- Jerome – Lizzo Cuz I Love You
- The One – Betty Who Betty
- Picture Me Better – Weyes Blood Titanic Rising
- Orange Trees – MARINA Love + Fear
- 800 db cloud – 100 gecs 1000 gecs
- Rich, White, Straight Men – Kesha Non-album single
- Queen of the Rodeo – Orville Peck Pony
- Blood of the Fang – clipping. There Existed an Addiction to Blood
- Borderline – Florrie Non-album single
- bad idea – Ariana Grande thank u, next
- Pang – Caroline Polachek Pang
- Talk – Two Door Cinema Club False Alarm
- Play – Betta Lemme Non-album single
- Love Goes On – Hannah Diamond Reflections
- Slide Away – Miley Cyrus Non-album single
- Borderline – Tame Impala The Slow Rush
- Hit the Back – King Princess Cheap Queen
- Lightning – Bag Raiders feat. The Kite String Tangle Horizons
- Taste – Donatachi feat. Genes Taste
- Do Me – Kim Petras Clarity
- Devil is a Lie – Adia Victoria Silences
- Adam & Steve – Dorian Electra Flamboyant
- New Love Cassette – Angel Olsen All Mirrors
- Everything He Needs – Carly Rae Jepsen Dedicated
- Love Me Wrong – Allie X feat. Troye Sivan Cape God
- The Other Side – Drab Majesty Modern Mirror
- Concrete Angel – Hannah Diamond Reflections
- Dear Jealousy – MIKA My Name is Michael Holbrook
- money machine – 100 gecs 1000 gecs
- What Are We Going to Do About the Rich? – Pet Shop Boys Agenda
- Old Town Road (Remix) – Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus 7
- Serbia Drums – !!! Wallop
- WET – COBRAH Icon
- sad day – FKA Twigs MAGDALENE
- BITE ME – Kilo Kish Redux
- Downhill Lullaby – Sky Ferreira Non-album single
- Divine Goldmine – Lou Asril Louasril
- Tuesday – Malibu Ken Malibu Ken
- Click (No Boys Remix) – Charli XCX feat. Kim Petras & Slayyyter Non-album single
- I Want to Live with You – Alex Lahey The Best Luck Club
- Sympathy – Vampire Weekend Father of the Bride
- Heavenly – Cigarettes After Sex Cry
- Prophet – King Princess Cheap Queen
- Norman fucking Rockwell – Lana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!
- Sanremo – MIKA My Name is Michael Holbrook
- Juice – Lizzo Cuz I Love You
- Parachute – Caroline Polachek Pang
- Whiplash – Theophilus London feat. Tame Impala Bebey
- Want You in My Room – Carly Rae Jepsen Dedicated
- Lifeline – A.G. Cook Non-album single
- Enjoy Your Life – MARINA Love + Fear
- White Mercedes – Charli XCX Charli
- Movies – Weyes Blood Titanic Rising
- Obsession – Joywave Possession
- Goodbye Honeymoon Phase – Kitten Goodbye Honeymoon Phase
- God Must Be Doing Cocaine – Charlotte Lawrence Non-album single
- 626 Bedford Avenue – The Drums Brutalism
- Black Magic – Backxwash God Has Nothing to Do With This, Leave Him Out of It
- Ice Cream – MIKA My name is Michael Holbrook
- Bad Vibes – K.Flay Solutions
- when the party’s over – Billie Eilish WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
- So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings – Caroline Polachek Pang
- Psycho – slowthai, Denzel Curry Non-album single
- STFU! – Rina Sawayama SAWAYAMA
- Patience – Tame Impala Non-album single
- stupid horse – 100 gecs 1000 gecs
- Cross You Out – Charli XCX feat. Sky Ferierra Charli
- Fuck it I love you – Lana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!
- High Beams – Flume feat. HWLS & slowthai Hi This is Flume
- Haunted House – Sir Babygirl Crush on Me
- Friday’s No Fun Anymore – Kitten Goodbye Honeymoon Phase
- Julien – Carly Rae Jepsen Dedicated
- Tokyo – White Lies Five V2
- Unconditional – Touch Sensitive feat. Kitten Non-album single
- Fresh Laundry – Allie X Cape God
- Sea at Night – GFOTY If You Think I’m a Bitch, You Should Meet GFOTY
- Pretty Please – Allan Rayman Christian
- Boy – The Asteroids Galaxy Tour Non-album Single
- Hope to Die – Orville Peck Pony
- PrettyGirlz – WILLOW WILLOW
- Caroline Shut Up – Caroline Polachek Pang
- Young Republicans – Lower Dens The Competition
- Flamboyant – Dorian Electra Flamboyant
- Like a Kennedy – Joywave Possession
- mary magdalene – FKA Twigs MAGDALENE
- 2099 – Charli XCX feat. Troye Sivan Charli
- Harmony Hall – Vampire Weekend Father of the Bride
- The greatest – Lana Del Rey Norman Fucking Rockwell!
- Don’t Be So Hard on Yourself – Alex Lahey The Best Luck Club
- fReAkY 4 Life – Dorian Electra Flamboyant
- cellophane – FKA Twigs MAGDALENE
- Door – Caroline Polachek Pang
- Jailbreak the Tesla – Injury Reserve feat. Aminé Injury Reserve
- All Mirrors – Angel Olsen All Mirrors
- Gone – Charli XCX feat. Christine and The Queens Charli
After listening to my list, be sure to pop on down to the comments and let me know what your favorite songs of 2019 were. What did I miss on this list? What did I include that I shouldn’t have?
PLAYLIST: What 50 songs best define the idea of ‘The Bop’?
For 50 Bops, I wanted to create a playlist that really encapsulated the idea and the aesthetic of The Bop. Yes, I wanted songs that are timeless and iconic, but I was more interested in the sound and the feeling of each song rather than how popular or famous it is. I wanted songs that were catchy, bouncy, danceable, and infectious. I also knew I wanted a list of 50 tracks without any repeated artists.
In order to do this, I started with artists I felt had to be included. The greats of modern pop music – Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Madonna etc., and then supplemented the list with lesser-known, but still deserving entries. For each artist, I picked the song I felt was their truest Bop. Not necessarily my favorite song by them, but the one that encapsulated that distinct Bop feeling better than any other.
So what’s in it?
In some cases, that song was a career defining hit (like ‘TiK ToK’ by Kesha or ‘California Gurls’ by Katy Perry). For some other artists, I picked something of a b-side. For example, I chose ‘I Hate Boys’ by Christina Aguilera, from her criminally underrated Bionic album. I’m sure some of my choices will be controversial, and I will probably regret some of them tomorrow. But, overall, I am pleased with this list.
The track list is ordered in a way that I thought created a pleasant flow throughout the three-hour runtime. It is not in any way ranked by quality (or boppiness).
Ultimately, I created this list to hopefully bring a smile to your face and to get you dancing around your apartment. I know I’ve been dancing around mine.
Stream at the links below.
50 Bops TrackList
- G.U.Y. – Lady Gaga ARTPOP
- Can’t Be Tamed – Miley Cyrus Can’t Be Tamed
- Stronger – Britney Spears Oops… I Did It Again
- Girls Night Out – Charli XCX Non-album single
- I Don’t Want It At All – Kim Petras Non-album single
- Greedy – Ariana Grande Dangerous Woman
- TiK ToK – Kesha Animal
- Boy Problems – Carly Rae Jepsen Emotion
- Tearin’ Up My Heart – *NSYNC *NSYNC
- Get Outta My Way – Kylie Minogue Aphrodite
- Irresistable – Jessica Simpson Irresistable
- Ba$$in – Yelle Complètement Fou
- Intuition – Jewel 0304
- Hi High – LOONA [+ +]
- American Boy – Estelle featuring Kanye West Shine
- Hung Up – Madonna Confessions on a Dance Floor
- Juice – Lizzo Cuz I Love You
- Waiting for Tonight – Jennifer Lopez On the 6
- Fembot – Robyn Body Talk
- We Run the Night – Havana Brown featuring Pitbull Flashing Lights
- Sparks – Hilary Duff Breathe In. Breathe Out.
- Demons – Hayley Kiyoko I’m Too Sensitive for this Shit
- Are We Good – G.R.L. Non-album single
- Larger Than Life – Backstreet Boys Millennium
- California Gurls – Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg Teenage Dream
- There You Go – P!nk Can’t Take Me Home
- That’s My Girl – Fifth Harmony 7/27
- Casanova – Allie X CollXtion II
- I Hate Boys – Christina Aguilera Bionic
- Physical – Dua Lipa Future Nostalgia
- Play – Betta Lemme Non-album single
- Rich Girl – Gwen Stefani featuring Eve Angel. Music. Baby.
- Fluids – Michael Medrano Non-album single
- Pandemonium – LIZ Non-album single
- Turn Me On – David Guetta featuring Nicki Minaj Nothing But the Beat
- What Do I Tell My Friends? – Bree Runway Non-album single
- Anna Wintour – Azealia Banks Non-album single
- One, Two Step – Ciara featuring Missy Elliott Goodies
- Crazy in Love – Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z Dangerously in Love
- Primadonna – MARINA Electra Heart
- Rumors – Lindsay Lohan Speak
- Boss Bitch – Doja Cat Birds of Prey: The Album
- Mine – Slayyyter Slayyyter
- SOS – Rihanna A Girl Like Me
- Damaged – Danity Kane Welcome to the Dollhouse
- Gimme – Ralph A Good Girl
- Blinding Lights – The Weeknd After Hours
- Saxobeat – Alexandra Stan Saxobeats
- Be Good to Me – Ashley Tisdale Headstrong
- Comme Des Garçons (Like the Boys) – Rina Sawayama SAWAYAMA
After you listen to my list (enjoy!), head on down to the comment section and let me know what your all-time favorite bops are.
PLAYLIST: Before I look at the best songs of 2019, here’s a look back at what I missed last year.
As 2019 comes to an end, I will be publishing my list of my top 101 tracks of the year. I did the same at the end of last year (you can view my ‘101 Top Tracks: 2018’ playlist here). But before we all dive into the 2019 list, I thought I would take a quick look back at 2018, and the songs that I’ve come to love and appreciate over the course of the last twelve months that didn’t make that initial list. This list, then, is 21 songs that I didn’t include in my top 101 tracks of 2018 list – but in hindsight, I would. This playlist is available to stream on Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube, as are all of my playlists. Click the links below to listen now.
Some quick notes about this list:
I got very into pcmusic and their style of futuristic hyperpop in 2019, so there is a lot of that in this playlist. I was starting to get into it at the end of 2018 (‘Super Duper Nova‘ by LIZ is probably the most direct example of it on the original list), but there is a lot more of it here. The songs by EASYFUN, Yung Titties, umru, Slayyyter and SOPHIE all come from that new obsession.
I included Crush’ by Allan Rayman, ‘The Prawn Song’ by Superorganism, ‘Annihilation Song’ by Rubblebucket and ‘Between the Lines’ by Robyn on this list, even though other songs from their respective albums were included on the original list. I still love ‘Peach‘, ‘Everybody Wants to be Famous‘, ‘Fruity‘ and ‘Because It’s in the Music‘ a lot, but over the course of the year, I’ve come to prefer these other offerings.
The rest are songs that I either almost included in the list but didn’t (Beth Orton’s cover of ‘I Never Asked to Be Your Mountain’) or that I discovered later (Theia’s ‘Bye Bye’).
Not including Christine and the Queens and Joji on the original list are mistakes I will regret for the rest of my life.
Anyway, enjoy the music, and I will see you soon with my 101 Top Tracks of 2019.
Better Late than Never: 2018 TrackList
- Crush – Allan Rayman
- Sometimes People Suck – Ashe
- I Never Asked to Be Your Mountain – Beth Orton and The Chemical Brothers
- Girlfriend – Christine and the Queens feat. Dâm-Funk
- Be Your USA – EASYFUN feat. Iiris
- Started Out – Georgia
- Anxious – Holy Ghost!
- Real Love – Jax Anderson
- Void – Kilo Kish
- After the Load is Blown – Louis Cole
- Tsunami (BAZOKA Remix) – Yung Titties feat. COBRAH
- Bad Ones – Matthew Dear feat. Tegan & Sara
- Sticky – umru and Ravenna Golden
- Between the Lines – Robyn
- Annihilation Song – Rubblebucket
- Alone – Slayyyter
- Immaterial – SOPHIE
- The Prawn Song – Superorganism
- Ordinary Pleasure – Toro y Moi
- Bye Bye – Theia
- SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK – Joji
Postnote: ‘Immaterial’ by SOPHIE is included erroneously, as it was actualy released in 2017.